« Home | New Year's Resolutions » | Vanity of Vanities » | What the Bible does NOT say » | We're running out of time! » | Not good enough » | If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving! » | The journey » | The final battle of the war » | Matisyahu - "What I'm Fighting For" » | Joy in the midst of tribulation » 

Thursday, January 11, 2007 

So is Bush a Universalist or a Christian?

Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Acts 4:10-12 (KJV)

Well I was looking on YouTube and I found an interesting video from our President, George Bush. What I saw nearly made my eyes jump out of my head. How come I didn't see this earlier? Why didn't any other Christians show me this or tell me about this. Here apparently George Bush is basically admitting that he's converted from Christianity to Universalism. You decide:



YouTube Video



Now some of you may be saying "Well he just probably doesn't really understand just yet. Maybe he just needs someone to explain to him." This isn't someone who just became a Christian recently. If this was the case, I would let the comment slide. Nor it this someone who doesn't have access to dozens of Christians and pastors to ask any question he so chooses. Again if this wasn't the case, I'd cut him some slack. No. This is the President of the United States of America, he can talk to whom ever he pleases. He has the right to tap my phone and hear me calling him names if he so pleases. That's how much access to information he has. He has claimed to have read the Bible front to back twice. How did he miss these crucial scriptures that make the case clear, Jesus Christ is the
ONLY way to heaven:

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 14:6 (KJV)

Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Galatians 2:14 (KJV)

I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly.
Galatians 2:21 (NAS)

And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
1 John 2:2 (KJV)

No good deed justifies us God's eyes and no one else can make up for the sins that we have committed, but Jesus! Is our President really a Christian as he says he is? Some of you may say "Well its not my place to judge". Other than God and yours, who's is it really? We all know that God will judge us in the end, but does this really mean that we just accept everyone who
says they are a Christian as such? Was Jim Jones one just because he said so? Or how about David Koresh? What about Hitler? He believed that he was doing the work of the Lord when he killed 6 million Jews. I believe that it is best for us to reserve judgment as much as possible, especially one such a decision on one's salvation. However, the Bible clearly warns us against false prophets, false Christs, and false brethren. And simply put, President Bush just went against one of the core beliefs of Christianity.

Let me make myself clear: I do
not believe in judging anyone based on disputable matters, to any degree. I don't think it is right to say someone is or isn't a Christian based the number of times they got drunk, how many times they missed church or how high their skirt is - no matter how strong my convictions are on the subject. However, I do believe that in order for me to stand firmly behind someone and refer to them as brother or sister in Christ, I think their core beliefs need to be in order. This is not the case here.

There are many who will point out Matthew 7:1 which says "
Judge not, that ye be not judged." Those people should understand that this scripture, when read in context, is condemning hypocritical judgment. Don't believe me? Look at verse 4- 6 of the same chapter:

Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye? "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.
Matthew 7:4-6 (NAS)


In otherwords, it is not right for me to condemn and pass judgment on someone who is fornicating when I am doing the same exact thing. That scripture is not condemning all judging. You have to correct yourself first in that area before you can say something about someone else. Still don't believe me? Look at verse 6. Who are the dogs? Who are the pigs in this scripture? How do we know unless we use righteous judgment? (Hint: Jesus isn't talking about farm animals here, folks). Jesus even later on goes on to talk about false prophets and knowing them by their fruit in the chapter. There
is a correct form of judging, even though popular opinion would have you thinking otherwise:

Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with
righteous judgment.
John 7:24 (NAS)

I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people; I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world. But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler--not even to eat with such a one. For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church? But those who are outside, God judges. REMOVE THE WICKED MAN FROM AMONG YOURSELVES.
1 Corinthians 5:9-13 (NAS)


Unfortunately church discipline is a lost tool among todays' body, but that's another post in itself. Quite frankly, I doubt many of the President's of recent history were believers even though they claim to be. You have to be too corrupt as a politician nowadays to get into higher office. Too many deals with special interest groups and lobbyist to get into office.

I will not make a decision for you, I am simply using this opportunity to make you think about how you view your President, how you view your beliefs on Christianity, and how you view judgment in general. Because if you don't, who will?

Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths. But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.
2 Timothy 4:2-5 (NAS)

What are your thoughts?

P.S.: No, I wasn't originally planning on writing this much, but you know what happens when I begin to write :-P

About me

  • I'm Preventer Wind
  • From Clarkson University, New York, United States
  • I was born and raised in Brooklyn, for the most part. My parents sent me to live in Barbados when I was 5 and brought me back here 2 months before I was going to turn 8. I was fairly intelligent, until I came to Clarkson :-P. My grades went south, but I refuse to give up! As hard as things get in life (and things have gotten plenty hard in mine), I have learned not to give up, but to keep faith in Jesus who I gave my life to at the age of 13. And no, my parents didn't make me. I made that decision on my own. They never once even suggested that I get saved. I chose to with my own contrite heart. So above all else, Jesus comes first in my life. So I'm a cool guy, I love everyone, dislike no one, but I HATE to be annoyed! (You're entitled to hate me all you want, but please don't aggrevate me! ) I'm a huge sports fan! Even though I'm pretty knowledgeable in sports, all my favorite teams stink (Raiders, Kings, Mets). Other than that, I'm pretty much game to do anything that's at least permissable by God. So what else is there to know about me? Read the rest of my profile!
My profile

Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates